We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What Are the Signs of an Allergic Reaction to Pineapple?

Andrew Kirmayer
By
Updated Mar 03, 2024
Our promise to you
The Health Board is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At The Health Board, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

The signs of an allergic reaction to pineapple range from an itchy rash or watery eyes to a deadly condition called anaphylaxis. An allergic reaction can cause the entire body to go into shock, which can lead to death. Pineapple reactions are often mistaken for other conditions such as asthma, stomach or intestinal problems, or eczema. Like all allergic reactions, a reaction to eating pineapple occurs because the immune system mistakenly reacts as if a harmful substance has entered the body. A reaction can occur as soon as someone eats the fruit, or it can take place up to five days after consuming it.

People often do not realize that it is pineapple they are allergic to. Upon eating it, someone might get cramps in the lower abdomen. The problem could be mistaken for a stomach virus but can be severe enough that physicians mistake it for other conditions. Constipation can also occur as an allergic reaction to pineapple, or diarrhea might result and be bad enough to cause dehydration. Some people experience swelling in their throat when they eat the fruit, which can make it hard to breath and requires emergency medical care.

Respiratory symptoms are sometimes misdiagnosed as asthma or other serious conditions of the lungs, and often persist over long periods of time before the pineapple allergy is discovered. Less severe symptoms of an allergic reaction to pineapple include watery, itchy, or red eyes; hives on the skin, facial swelling, and tingling in the mouth. Low blood pressure is a symptom in some people which can cause lightheadedness and dizziness. If an anaphylactic reaction occurs, then a person can have so much swelling in the face and throat they can suffocate. Fatal cardiovascular and gastrointestinal effects can also occur with this severe of a reaction.

It is important to be tested for allergies if any reaction is suspected. Anyone who is allergic to nuts and fruit should be aware of the possibility of an allergic reaction to pineapple if they eat it. A severe anaphylactic reaction can be treated with adrenaline, and asthmatic symptoms can be dealt with by taking bronchodilators or other medications used to treat asthma. Antihistamines are also used because the immune system produces histamines in response to the allergy. Mild effects may not have to be treated, but to avoid more serious reactions, a person with a pineapple allergy should avoid the fruit altogether, as reactions can increase in severity with continued exposure.

The Health Board is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Andrew Kirmayer
By Andrew Kirmayer
Andrew Kirmayer, a freelance writer with his own online writing business, creates engaging content across various industries and disciplines. With a degree in Creative Writing, he is skilled at writing compelling articles, blogs, press releases, website content, web copy, and more, all with the goal of making the web a more informative and engaging place for all audiences.
Discussion Comments
By anon989632 — On Mar 15, 2015

I get the rash. Thing is, it is only three or four pustules at a time. The are itchy as all get out. And the rash travels over my body. The rash can last up to a month with me.

It does not matter if it is fresh, dried, the juice only. It can be straight as in pineapple only. Or even if it is mixed in something like BBQ sauce. The thing is, my favorite pizza topping was pineapple until I found out that I can no longer have it.

By anon961010 — On Jul 14, 2014

@ddljohn, did your daughter take any antibiotics recently? I'm 42 and have never had problems eating pineapples my whole life until the last five months. I was prescribed a very strong antibiotic and thereafter, I would break out into a pimply rash when I eat pineapples.

I'm not 100 percent sure that it's the antibiotic that has caused me to become allergic to pineapples, but I'm quite sure that the antibiotics destroyed something good in my gut.

By ddljohn — On Mar 09, 2013

Can a pineapple allergy start suddenly?

My six year old daughter has been eating pineapple without problems. But recently, she's started reacting badly to fresh pineapple. She had a piece or two of fresh pineapple twice this month and broke out in a red rash on her face both times.

I don't understand how this allergy developed suddenly. She didn't have such reactions before.

By literally45 — On Mar 08, 2013

@turkay1-- That's not a sign of an allergic reaction. That's called bitter taste syndrome and is often experienced after eating foods which contain certain enzymes. Pineapple is one of those foods. The enzyme in pineapple causes a change in the taste receptors of the tongue and mouth which cause a metallic taste afterward. It doesn't happen to everyone, but quite a few people experience it.

Typical signs of pineapple allergy is itching inside or around the mouth, swelling of the lips and mouth and hives. Hives can happen anywhere on the body. If you don't have any of these symptoms, just the metallic taste, you have nothing to worry about.

By candyquilt — On Mar 07, 2013

I experience a very odd, metallic taste in my mouth immediately after I eat pineapple. It lasts for at least half an hour. It's a very bothersome taste.

I haven't been able to figure out the cause. Could this be sign of an allergy? I don't experience this with any other fruit except for cantaloupe. I have the same problem with cantaloupe.

Andrew Kirmayer
Andrew Kirmayer
Andrew Kirmayer, a freelance writer with his own online writing business, creates engaging content across various...
Learn more
The Health Board, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

The Health Board, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.