We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

How Do I Recognize an Amoxicillin Overdose?

By Meshell Powell
Updated Mar 03, 2024
Our promise to you
The Health Board is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At The Health Board, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

Amoxicillin overdose symptoms can vary widely from one person to another and may depend in part on the amount of the drug in the body. A mild overdose may cause symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, or abdominal discomfort. Blood in the urine, flu-like symptoms, and the development of a yeast infection may occur as the result of an amoxicillin overdose. More severe overdose symptoms may include reduced urine output, swelling, or yellowing of the skin or eyes. Any suspected overdose should be reported to a doctor for further evaluation to make sure there are no potentially life-threatening complications present.

A mild amoxicillin overdose may cause symptoms that are easily confused with other medical conditions. Flu-like symptoms such as fever, runny nose, or muscle pain may not be recognized as signs of an allergy. Nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting are potential symptoms of an overdose of amoxicillin as well. If these symptoms become severe or if they are accompanied by severe abdominal pain, medical assistance should be obtained right away.

Kidney damage may occur in more severe cases of amoxicillin overdose. Blood in the urine or decreased urination are symptoms that should be checked out by a physician to rule out the presence of infection or blockage. Swelling, especially involving the face, hands, and feet, may be an indicator of decreased kidney function. Kidney damage related to this type of overdose may not always be reversible and may require dialysis or kidney transplant.

Jaundice is a possible symptom of an amoxicillin overdose and causes the skin or the white portion of the eyes to appear yellow. The development of jaundice is usually related to some form of liver dysfunction. Prescription medications may be be used to help treat this condition, although surgical intervention is sometimes necessary. Severe liver damage may result in the surgical removal of the damaged portion of the organ.

Anaphylaxis is among the potential amoxicillin overdose symptoms. This potentially fatal type of allergic reaction may cause the throat to swell, leading to difficulty breathing and decreased oxygen supply to the brain and other vital organs. Additional symptoms may include facial swelling, chest pain, and the development of an itchy rash. Without emergency medical attention, anaphylaxis can cause permanent brain damage or death within a matter of minutes. If any type of allergic reaction is suspected, a doctor should be consulted to make sure there are no serious health risks present.

The Health Board is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Link to Sources
Discussion Comments
By cloudel — On Nov 25, 2011

@OeKc05 – I hate it when I get medicine in a big bottle! I am forgetful, and like your grandmother, I took two doses in one morning. I didn't get sick at my stomach, but I did have a reaction.

I got the worst yeast infection I have ever had. It was so extremely itchy that I scratched my skin raw. It even caused the area to swell up.

I had to go back to my doctor and tell her what had happened. She gave me the same treatment she would give for a naturally occurring yeast infection, and it worked.

She told me that I should get one of those pill holders with the letters of the days written on each compartment to help me remember if I had taken my medicine or not. I thought this was a wise idea.

By OeKc05 — On Nov 24, 2011

@seag47 - Sometimes pharmacies give out amoxicillin in bottles rather than in dose packs. If you are forgetful, you could easily overdose on it.

My grandmother forgets things easily. Unfortunately, her doctor gave her the kind in a bottle. She could not remember whether she had taken her medicine one morning, so she took another one.

She started having terrible nausea within the hour. She ran to the toilet. She had a bucket to throw up in, and she had diarrhea at the same time. It was the worst she had ever felt.

By seag47 — On Nov 23, 2011

I can understand how an amoxicillin overdose could cause stomach upset. I can barely take the regular dosage of it without feeling ill.

My mother and I both have the same reaction to amoxicillin. It makes us nauseated, and it makes all food and beverages taste bitter the entire time we are taking it.

We always ask our doctors for something else. We just are not built to handle this type of antibiotic.

I do wonder how someone could overdose on this stuff. I know that they wouldn't want to take too much for fun. Anytime I've ever received amoxicillin, it has been in premeasured doses with each day written on them.

By andee — On Nov 23, 2011

I wonder if feeling dizzy and lightheaded would be a possible symptom of an amoxicillin overdose?

I was prescribed this when I had an infection, and after a few days felt really dizzy. This is the only thing I could think of that I had done differently.

I still had a few days left to finish the medication, but ended up taking it only for 1 more day. Now I realize I should have called my doctor about this.

Once I stopped taking the amoxicillin my dizziness did go away, so I must have had some kind of reaction to this.

By golf07 — On Nov 22, 2011

Anytime you are having some kind of strange reaction or sensation to any kind of medication, you should check with your doctor right away.

I will not accept an amoxicillin prescription because of what has happened in my family from using this medication. If I need to take an antibiotic for something, I will ask the doctor to prescribe me something besides this.

My grandpa was in the hospital recovering from pneumonia and was given some amoxicillin. I don't know if he had ever taken this before or not, but he was in the hospital when he was prescribed this, and died of complications from a severe reaction to this medication.

I know this is something that is probably rare, but there is the possibility that this can happen. Several years after this happened, my Dad was also given a prescription for amoxicillin and began having a strange reaction.

He stopped taking it right away and called his doctor who told him the same thing and gave him something else to take. There must be something in this medication that adversely affects members of my family, and I try to stay as far away from it as possible.

The Health Board, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

The Health Board, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.