Health
Fact-checked

At TheHealthBoard, we're committed to delivering accurate, trustworthy information. Our expert-authored content is rigorously fact-checked and sourced from credible authorities. Discover how we uphold the highest standards in providing you with reliable knowledge.

Learn more...

What are the Common Signs of an Iron Overdose?

Iron overdose can be dangerous, often presenting with symptoms like severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and a metallic taste in the mouth. In advanced stages, it may cause liver failure, shock, and even coma. Early detection is crucial. Are you aware of the subtle early signs that could save a life? Discover more about this critical health issue in our detailed guide.
Debra Durkee
Debra Durkee

The body needs iron in order to efficiently transport oxygen throughout the blood stream, but too much iron can result in an iron overdose. Signs that there is too much iron in the body are wide and varied, from symptoms of the gastrointestinal and cardiac systems to a blue hue to the skin. Depending on the individual and the amount of iron ingested, symptoms can be mild or severe.

Iron is available through over-the-counter supplements, making it an easily accessible nutrient. While it might not seem as though such a readily available substance can disrupt the body, an iron overdose can result in a number of symptoms. Depending on the individual and the amount taken, the overdose can the cardiac, gastrointestinal, nervous and respiratory systems, as well as have a visible impact on the skin.

Iron supplements are readily available, which can make it easy to overdose if a person isn't careful.
Iron supplements are readily available, which can make it easy to overdose if a person isn't careful.

The first symptoms to develop are usually those in the gastrointestinal system, which commonly manifest within about six hours of consuming the iron. These include abdominal pain and other kinds of distress, such as vomiting and diarrhea, with the possibility of blood in the body's discharge and a metallic taste to the vomit. As these are common illness symptoms, it may be difficult initially to diagnose an iron overdose. In large quantities, iron is a poison, and these signs are the first of a slow poisoning of the body.

The gastrointestinal tract is the first part of the body that starts to show signs of an iron overdose.
The gastrointestinal tract is the first part of the body that starts to show signs of an iron overdose.

Depending on the dosage that was consumed, other symptoms can also manifest within hours of the iron overdose. Fatigue and cardiac issues, such as irregular heartbeat, can occur, and in some cases, there can also be a marked drop in blood pressure. High amounts of iron will begin to target the liver, which results in jaundice and liver failure between 12 hours and two days of overdosing. During this time, an individual may also be vulnerable to seizures. The skin will often become pale, while the fingernails and lips may take on a blue hue.

Vomiting may be one of the first symptoms of an iron overdose to appear, and the vomit may have a metallic taste to it.
Vomiting may be one of the first symptoms of an iron overdose to appear, and the vomit may have a metallic taste to it.

After two days, the iron has begun to poison other cells. It is during this time that death can occur, and it is vitally important to receive medical attention well before this time. Without the administration of treatment to rid the body of the high amounts of iron, an individual may go into severe shock and suffer from advanced liver failure as well as mental distress, such as confusion; convulsions and dizziness also are possible symptoms.

Symptoms of an iron overdose may include dizziness.
Symptoms of an iron overdose may include dizziness.

Lethality depends on the dosage of iron that was consumed and how quickly treatment is received. It is one of the most dangerous poisons to children due to their low body weights. Even after hospitalization and treatment, an iron overdose can leave lasting scars on the gastrointestinal system in particular. A person's overall health and the existence of other conditions can impact the overall prognosis.

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

Post your comments
Login:
Forgot password?
Register:
    • Iron supplements are readily available, which can make it easy to overdose if a person isn't careful.
      By: alinita
      Iron supplements are readily available, which can make it easy to overdose if a person isn't careful.
    • The gastrointestinal tract is the first part of the body that starts to show signs of an iron overdose.
      By: maya2008
      The gastrointestinal tract is the first part of the body that starts to show signs of an iron overdose.
    • Vomiting may be one of the first symptoms of an iron overdose to appear, and the vomit may have a metallic taste to it.
      By: olly
      Vomiting may be one of the first symptoms of an iron overdose to appear, and the vomit may have a metallic taste to it.
    • Symptoms of an iron overdose may include dizziness.
      By: elizalebedewa
      Symptoms of an iron overdose may include dizziness.
    • Unprocessed beef contains large quantities of iron.
      By: Blind Shot
      Unprocessed beef contains large quantities of iron.
    • Multiple blood transfusions may lead to too much iron in the blood.
      By: Max Tactic
      Multiple blood transfusions may lead to too much iron in the blood.
    • Irritability and lethargy may be symptoms of iron poisoning.
      By: WavebreakMediaMicro
      Irritability and lethargy may be symptoms of iron poisoning.
    • An oron overdose may cause severe abdominal pain.
      By: Kaspars Grinvalds
      An oron overdose may cause severe abdominal pain.