At TheHealthBoard, we're committed to delivering accurate, trustworthy information. Our expert-authored content is rigorously fact-checked and sourced from credible authorities. Discover how we uphold the highest standards in providing you with reliable knowledge.
The most crucial step in treating isopropyl alcohol ingestion is seeking immediate help from emergency medical personnel or a poison control agency. These experts will then determine the best treatment based on the patient's demographic information, the symptoms presented, and when and how much alcohol was consumed. Poisoned individuals might be given liquids if they are conscious and able to swallow. Since drinking isopropyl alcohol can result in adverse consequences or even death, more intense treatment might also be required, such dialysis or breathing support.
Isopropyl alcohol is a non-drinking alcohol found in many household products, including rubbing alcohol, perfumes, and cleaning supplies. To prevent children from drinking it, medical and child care experts recommend storing such products securely. Furthermore, people who work with or use products containing this alcohol should clean their hands thoroughly after each exposure, especially before eating or touching their mouths. In the event of a definite or suspected poisoning, prompt medical attention is required.
A patient's age and weight, as well as the type and amount of the product consumed, influence treatment options, so it is best to have this information handy when contacting emergency personnel. Drinking milk or water might be the initial form of treatment for those patients who are fully alert and are neither vomiting nor convulsing. It is important that patients not be given liquids or forced to vomit unless directed to do so by a poison control or medical professional.
Medical professionals also use a patient's symptoms, demographics, and details of the poisoning to determine the best treatment plan once the patient is hospitalized. His or her vital signs are tested and closely monitored. Some patients suffer dehydration, high levels of alcohol toxicity, and breathing or choking problems, as well as stomach irritation and other possible life threatening consequences. To prevent or treat these symptoms, healthcare professionals might provide intravenous fluids, kidney dialysis, breathing support, and special stomach treatments. Patients who have ingested small amounts of alcohol and receive treatment quickly are the most likely to recover.
Paramedics and other first responders are not the only individuals who can help to treat isopropyl alcohol ingestion immediately. Some regions also have local or national poison control agencies that handle such matters. For instance, in the United States, the National Poison Control Center fields phone calls at all times to respond to poisoning emergencies, as well as provide related non-emergency support.